Healthy Snacks for Summer Road Trips
The busiest travel season of the year is upon us, and that means one thing: road snacks! As tempting as it can be to pick up a bag of potato chips at the next rest stop, why not pack your own healthy snacks instead? Not only will they be more flavorful, but you can also control the quality of ingredients, like adding wheat germ for extra nutrition.
With a bit of advance planning and a few easy recipes in your arsenal, your family will be well on its way to healthy snacking all summer long.
Here are a few of our favorite healthy portable snack ideas:
- • Individually packed bags of nuts or seeds including sunflower seeds, almonds, peanuts, cashews or pistachios
- • Air-popped popcorn sprinkled with a little sea salt and cracked black pepper
- • Individually wrapped packages of whole wheat crackers topped with almond butter
- • Homemade Goldfish Crackers. We love this recipe, which offers an added health boost by including wheat germ.
- • Beef jerky. This super portable snack is low calorie and packed with protein. Be sure to look for all-natural brands, and keep portions in check since jerky often contains high amounts of sodium.
- • Homemade granola such as Chocolate Granola with Walnuts and Wheat Germ
- • Whole fruit from a farm stand along the drive or a local farmers market
- • Protein or energy bars like these Honey Crunch Energy Bars with Wheat Germ
- • Whole grain bread topped with natural peanut butter, a little honey and a sprinkle of Kretschmer Honey Crunch wheat germ
- • Dried fruit like apricots and dates
To keep your vehicle clean, don’t forget to store a few trash bags in the car and a stash of wipes to clean off messy hands in between restroom stops. Once you reach your destination, explore How to Eat Healthy on Vacation for even more great tips. If you’re looking for more ways to get healthy snacks into your diet, no matter what time of year, check out Swapping Snacks for Better Nutrition.
What are your favorite healthy snacks to pack for summer road trips? Leave a comment below— we’d love to hear from you!