Falling for Apples: 10 Ways to Create Delicious Dishes from the Season’s Bounty
It’s apple season! Fresh, juicy, crunchy and sweet — it’s no surprise apples are one of America’s favorite fruits. In fact, wheat germ and apples are a nutritional power couple: Vitamin C found in apples helps the body absorb the iron found in wheat germ. Win-win!
More than 2,500 varieties of apples are grown in the U.S. alone, so whether you prefer McIntosh, Granny Smith or Ina Gold, you’re sure to find something you love in these 10 easy and delicious ideas for incorporating apples into your diet.
- Naturally sweeten your bowl of oatmeal with freshly grated apple, cinnamon and a sprinkle of crunchy wheat germ. Or fold the apples right in, as in this Apple Cinnamon Pumpkin Oatmeal.
- Love smoothies? Add diced apples for a healthy twist in this Apple Pie Smoothie.
- Pancakes are delicious with apple, either finely diced or grated. We love these Whole Wheat Pancakes with Nutty Topping, which incorporate apples and wheat germ.
Lunch or dinner
- Grilled cheese offers the perfect vehicle for thinly sliced apples. Try this Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Apples and Farmers Cheese.
- Apples and pork go together like Brussels sprouts and bacon. Add Pork Cutlets with Apple, Rosemary and Wheat Germ to your fall dinner rotation.
- Prosciutto, Fig and Wheat Germ Stuffing incorporates sweet apples and salty prosciutto—ideal for Thanksgiving or alongside roast chicken any night of the week.
- Apple Turnovers with Wheat Germ burst with flavor and are perfect for entertaining.
- Give your favorite fall treat a healthy makeover and try our Caramel Apples with Wheat Germ.
- Love apple crisp? Check out our substitution chart for easy ways to add texture and fiber without adding calories.
What are your favorite fall foods?