Who Should Be Eating Wheat Germ?
Kretschmer Wheat Germ Usage & Substitution Chart
Replacing some recipe ingredients with wheat germ can make a significant difference in your daily nutritional intake.
See how Kretschmer Wheat Germ stacks up against other supplements.
Our product nutritional labels.
In a nutshell, just about everyone! After all, wheat germ is packed with essential vitamins and minerals and is easy to add to just about any dish, from muffins and cookies to baked chicken and fish. But these specific audiences should make it a daily staple:
- Athletes: Working out? You need to keep your body fueled, and not with empty calories. Wheat germ is a fast, easy—and inexpensive!—way to get the nutrients you need to fuel up or recharge. Add to smoothies, yogurt or oatmeal pre- or post-workout.
- Children: Getting kids and toddlers to eat healthy foods can be a challenge. Wheat germ is a great solution because it blends so easily with the foods they already love. Add it to favorite foods like yogurt, cold cereal, mac ‘n’ cheese and, yes, even cookies! This gives children the boost in vitamins and minerals they need to stay healthy and grow strong.
- Dieters: Trying to shed a few pounds? When you’re cutting calories, wheat germ helps ensure you’re not also skimping on nutrition by delivering the essential vitamins and minerals you need to stay healthy.
- Health-conscious eaters: Low in the bad stuff, but high in the good, wheat germ is a perfect companion in the kitchen. Sprinkle it on everything from cereals to soups to boost the nutrition, or use it to replace less nutrient-dense foods in cooking, like breadcrumbs.
- Pregnant women: Folate, or folic acid, is critical for good prenatal nutrition, helping prevent birth defects. Wheat germ also contains zinc, which is necessary for proper growth and development.
- Seniors: As we age, our eyesight begins to diminish. Wheat germ is an excellent source of vitamin E that can help promote eye health and may even lower the rate of cataracts.
At only 50 calories per 2-tablespoon serving, Kretschmer Wheat Germ delivers a protein-packed punch of vital nutrients, including:
- Vitamin E: This fat-soluble antioxidant helps to protect cells and tissues from damage and may ward off certain diseases.
- Folic Acid: A must-have for pregnant women—and a good idea for everyone else—this B vitamin helps make healthy new cells to protect against certain cancers.
- Magnesium: This mineral helps keep your heart, bones and immune system strong. Recent data also suggests it may even slash your Type-2 diabetes risk.
- Thiamin: This B vitamin helps convert carbohydrates into energy. It’s also essential for the proper functioning of the heart, muscles and nervous system.
- Phosphorous: Working with calcium to build strong bones and teeth, this mineral is also necessary for the growth, maintenance and repair of all tissues.
- Zinc: Your body uses this mineral for hundreds of functions, such as fighting off viruses, helping wounds heal, DNA synthesis and proper cell division.
BONUS: Wheat germ is also a fiber-rich source of high-quality non-animal protein and only contains heart-healthy polyunsaturated fat. Extra bonus: There’s no sodium.